English: Learn English: Part of Speech

Part of Speech:

Traditional grammar classifies words based on eight parts of speech: the verb, the noun, the pronoun, the adjective, the adverb, the preposition, the conjunction, and the interjection.

part of speech
function or "job"
example words
example sentences
action or state
(to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, must
EnglishClub is a web site. I likeEnglishClub.
thing or person
pen, dog, work, music, town, London, teacher, John
This is my dog. He lives in my house. We live in London.
describes a noun
a/an, the, 2, some, good, big, red, well, interesting
I have two dogs. My dogs are big. I likebig dogs.
describes a verb, adjective or adverb
quickly, silently, well, badly, very, really
My dog eats quickly. When he is veryhungry, he eats reallyquickly.
replaces a noun
I, you, he, she, some
Tara is Indian. She is beautiful.
links a noun to another word
to, at, after, on, but
We went to school onMonday.
joins clauses or sentences or words
and, but, when
I like dogs and I like cats. I like cats anddogs. I like dogs but I don't like cats.
short exclamation, sometimes inserted into a sentence
oh!, ouch!, hi!, well
Ouch! That hurts! Hi! How are you? Well, I don't know.
* Some grammar sources categorize English into 9 or 10 parts of speech. At EnglishClub, we use the traditional categorization of 8 parts of speech. Examples of other categorizations are:
  • Verbs may be treated as two different parts of speech:
    • Lexical Verbs (work, like, run)
    • Auxiliary Verbs (be, have, must)
  • Determiners may be treated as a separate part of speech, instead of being categorized under Adjectives


Comments